The return of mandatory military service in the Czech Republic is not imminent, but it will come into effect in Germany from the new year, while Poland is training volunteers
The debate on the return of mandatory military service in Europe has been reignited by Russia's invasion of Ukraine in 2022, and a number of countries that abolished mandatory military service in previous years are now considering reinstating it. Poland, for example, has launched widespread training of volunteers in response to the war in Ukraine, and the German government has even agreed on a new form of military service, which will be launched on January 1 next year. Here in the Czech Republic, too, there has been lively debate in recent months about mandatory military service, but so far there is no political will for such a step. However, the Chief of the General Staff of the Czech Armed Forces, among others, admits that in time it will be necessary to introduce some form of military service in the Czech Republic as well.
The Czech army switched to a fully professional model twenty years ago. Conscription was retained in the event of war or threat to the state for persons aged 18 to 60. In addition to eliminating the fundamental disruption to the personal and professional lives of young men, the aim was to modernize and professionalize the army. In her latest speech at the recent Command Assembly of the Chief of the General Staff of the Czech Armed Forces, Defense Minister Jana Černochová emphasized the principle of voluntarism, but also reminded listeners of the fate of society and its resilience. However, she has already categorically rejected the return of mandatory military service in the past. "The restoration of basic military service is something that is unrealistic," Černochová said in the Senate at the end of March, adding that the state does not have the material resources, such as sufficient barracks or instructors. "If someone wants to defend their country, that is their free choice," added the head of the defense ministry, saying that, in her opinion, it is more important to strengthen the professional army and volunteer reserves.
However, Chief of the General Staff Gen. Karel Řehka points out that the method of recruitment into the army will have to change and has even admitted the possibility of mandatory military service. "We will have to introduce some form of military service," Řehka said in an interview with Deník N in mid-November. Currently, there are approximately 25,000 professional soldiers serving in the army, with over 2,000 new soldiers joining this year, the highest number since 2006. However, the concept for the development of the Czech Army by 2030 envisages reaching 30,000 professional soldiers and 10,000 soldiers in active reserve, and General Řehka speaks of the need for 37,000 to 40,000 soldiers.
Not only due to limited capacity and staffing requirements, in our case this could involve, for example, a variant involving volunteers, which is currently being introduced in Poland. A new military training program has been in place there since November, which, according to the Polish Ministry of Defense, expects up to 400,000 participants next year. Poland now spends the most on defense of all Alliance members and, with its 216,000 soldiers, has become NATO's third-largest army.
According to Defense Minister Wladyslaw Kosiniak-Kamysz, the program, which Donald Tusk's government has called "On Standby," is the largest defense training program in Polish history. It is voluntary and open to all citizens, from schoolchildren to seniors. In addition to basic safety and survival training, the program will also include medical training and cyber awareness courses. "In November and December alone (...) we will train about 20,000 people in individual training, but the total number, in terms of all forms of training, is about 100,000 people," Polish Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk said of the program, according to Reuters. According to Chief of Staff Wieslaw Kukula, Poland's ambitious project aims to strengthen the resilience of citizens while increasing the availability, readiness, and capacity of active reserves.
Germany is going even further, wanting to build the strongest army in Europe, among other things with the help of newly introduced military military service, if necessary. This ended in 2011 in our western neighbor, but according to Chancellor Friedrich Merz's government, the security situation now calls for its return. Specifically, from January 1, 2026, there will be mandatory registration and medical examinations for all men over the age of 18. A questionnaire will also become mandatory, in which each applicant must state in detail their willingness to serve. Young Germans will thus "pre-register" for potential military service. The German government's goal is to increase the number of its soldiers from the current 180,000 to 260,000 by 2035 and to recruit an additional 200,000 reservists.
If this target is not met, German MPs will be able to vote on " military service out of necessity," which will help meet the expected numbers through mandatory military conscription. "Modern military service is coming," said Jens Spahn, chairman of the ruling CDU/CSU parliamentary group, according to Euronews. "So that we as a society always know where we stand in terms of the growth of our armed forces, so that we can defend ourselves," Spahn added. The German plan anticipates that approximately 700,000 young people born in 2008 will be contacted starting in the new year. Women will also receive the call, but unlike men, they will not be required to respond.
Mandatory military service currently applies in nine EU member states: Austria, Cyprus, Greece, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. It varies in duration and form (for example, whether it applies to all citizens regardless of gender or only to men). From next year, mandatory military service will also apply in Croatia.


















